Chocolate Ho Ho Cake
Write a review
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Dutched cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 sticks very soft butter
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz best quality semi or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon honey or Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 310°F.
- Butter and flour three 8-inch baking pans and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan is highly recommended for easy removal of cake).
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, and salt and whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat water until hot.
- Add dry ingredients buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, while whisking batter smooth in between additions.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and place in oven, bake for 40-45 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After 5 minutes turn upside down on plastic food lined surface and allow to cool completely before frosting, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare buttercream. Preferably in a stand mixer cream soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy and mix at least 3 minutes.
- Add salt and gradually add evaporated milk in 2-3 tablespoon amounts mixing at least a minute before adding more. Add vanilla extract. If desired, a lighter buttercream can be obtained by adding another 1/4 cup evaporated milk.
- If at any time cream is heavy or slightly curdling appears it is fixed by slightly warming the cream while whisking. Set bottom of bowl in lukewarm water for a few seconds and stir or whisk well. In no time cream will become glossy and smooth.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate and remove the parchment. Spread half of cream onto cake layer. Top with another cake layer and repeat procedure.
- For glaze chop chocolate in small pieces and place in a small bowl. Bring heavy cream and honey to a boil and pour onto chocolate. Stir or whisk until smooth. Pour onto cake.