Chicken Fajita Macaroni and Cheese
Write a review
- 3 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta (12 oz)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced poblano chiles
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso™ taco seasoning mix chicken
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese (6 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- 2. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink in center. Stir in bell pepper, chiles and onion; cook about 2 minutes longer or until onions just start to soften. Add taco seasoning mix and water. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. Transfer to bowl, and reserve.
- 3.In 4-cup glass measuring cup, mix milk and whipping cream. Return Dutch oven to medium heat; melt butter in Dutch oven. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently. With whisk, stir in flour and salt until smooth. Cook and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- 4. Gradually stir in milk mixture. Increase heat to medium-high; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; reduce heat to medium. Stir in cheeses. Cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in pasta and reserved chicken mixture. Remove from heat. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- 5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Sprinkle crushed tortilla chips and green onions on top.